Wednesday 13 August 2014

running out of memory

Not me but my smartphone :o(

The internal memory on my phone is only 174MB I also have an 8GB memory card in there also.

There are some apps on my phone mainly flickr it is taking up 24.23MB (which is roughly 15% of my memory) which is on the phone memory and I cannot put it onto my memory card :o(.

I went into the Three shop yesterday to see if there was a "magic button" that I didnt know about to get more of the apps onto my memory card, all the guy could suggest was to upgrade my phone to a better one with more internal memory!

So he took my details and looked to see how much I would have to pay to end my contract early - I still have seven months left - so he looked and it would cost me £84! and that it would be discounted (I worked out that the discount was only £7 over the rest of the contract) I told the bloke that I didnt want to do that.  He then kept on and on about how the amount was not just plucked out of thin air - so I told him that I am not not thick and that I understand that it is what is owed for the remainder of the contract.

He told me about this phone and it has 4GB of of internal memory so would be "big" enough for my current needs, I would end up pay £20 per month (I currently pay £13 per month).

I was really hoping that they would agree to write off the "upgrade fee" but they wouldnt - their only suggestion was to see what CEX would pay me for the phone and to offset it towards the upgrade fee.  I didnt want to do that either.

So I have taken the updates off of loads of things on my phone apart from maps and street view and I now have 31MB free.

If Three ring me up (which they tend to to every now and again) I will see if they will agree to waive the fee.

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Are you limited to only buying a phone from them? I've bought phones on eBay that work with my provider. Bc my crazy phone has 32 gb built in, with no option for a memory card, though.

Eileen H said...

That's all too technological for me.
I only have a mobile for making occasional calls and I have my children's cast offs when they upgrade :)

chocolat lover said...

Kelly - Im not too sure to be honest...

...quite a few companies here tend to "lock" their phones so that you cant do that.

I dont want to buy a phone, I would rather just get a better one in March when my contract expires.

Eileen - Im a bit technological but not super like James is ;o)

Although he can be a bit of a moron most of the time and says "I dont know, its not my phone"!

Im looking forward to Evie having technology casts off when she is a teenager/adult ;o)